Further information about Patrik Fältström:
Patrik Fältström is Technical Director and Head of Security at Netnod, has a Masters Degree in Mathematics at Stockholm University, is Knight of The Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana and member of The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences.
He is also working part time for the Swedish Armed Forces with Locked Shields](https://ccdcoe.org/locked-shields/) where he was participant 2019 and (the cancelled event) 2020, followed by being team lead 2022 and 2023.
Previously, Fältström was a Distinguished Consulting Engineer at Cisco, Technical Specialist at Tele2, Systems Manager at the Royal Institute of Technology, Researcher at Bunyip Information Systems in Montréal and a Programmer in the Royal Swedish Navy. He has been working with UNIX since 1985, DNS since 1987, and been involved in Internet-related standardisation since 1989 — both in Sweden and worldwide. Fältström is an editor of standards for Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) and E.164 number mapping in DNS (ENUM), both standards of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) where he has also worked with Directory Services and Information naming and retrieval mechanisms. He was also one of two area directors of the IETF applications area for five years, followed by being a member of the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) for three years. He served as a member of the Internet Society (ISOC) Board of Trustees from 2006 to 2009.
Fältström has been an active participant in Internet governance issues at the global level. In the late 1990’s he was a member of the gTLD Policy Oversight Committee, a process that helped form the foundation for the Internet Cooperation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). He was involved in the creation of the Internet Governance Forum in the United Nations, where he also served for three years as a member of the Multistakeholder Advisory Group and then advisor to the Chair for two years. He was an appointed advisor to the Swedish IT Minister between 2003 and 2014, a member of the ICANN Security and Stability Committee since 2005 and its chair 2011-2017. 2014 he was appointed to the Research Advisory Network of the Global Commission of Internet Governance. 2014-2016 he was vice-chair of the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG). Since World Conference on International Telecommunication (WCIT) 2012 he has been participating in the preparation of the Swedish view in International Telecommunication Union (ITU) related issues.
He is or has been a member of numerous other advisory groups and investigations related to Internet and Internet Governance during the years, both public and private sector, including ICANN, Packet Clearing House, Telio, HotSIP, Scrive, Wire, Yubico, Swedish Regulator PTS, Arelion (when it was Telia International Carrier), Tele2, Internetstiftelsen, Swedish, US Government and the European Commission.
He co-authored or contributed to a number of key Internet papers including but not limited to:
- TAMINO ett program för statistikinsamling vid minsvepning, P. Fältström, 15p. University of Stockholm and The Royal Swedish Navy, 1988. TRITA-NA-E8868
- Distributed DNS troubleshooting. V. Pappas, P. Fältström, D. Massey, L. Zhang. NetT ’04 Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Network troubleshooting, 2004, Pages 265-270. ACM New York, NY, USA. ISBN:1-58113-942-X
- National Research Council. Signposts in Cyberspace: The Domain Name System and Internet Navigation. Washington, DC, USA: The National Academies Press, 2005. ISBN: 978-0-309-09640-9
- Scaling the Root – Report on the Impact on the DNS Root System of Increasing the Size and Volatility of the Root Zone. Prepared by the Root Scaling Study Team for the Root Scaling Steering Group. J. Akkerhuis, L. Chapin, P. Fältström, G. Kowack, L. Liman, B Manning. 7 September 2009
- European Commission. ICT Sector Guide on Implementing the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. Brussels 2013. Report written by Shift and the Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB) 2011-2013.
- Elektronisk signering, En antologi. Redaktör: Jon Kihlman. Stockholm, Sweden: Nordstedts Juridik, 2013. ISBN: 978-913901731-8
- Council of Europe, 5th meeting Strasbourg, 3-6 December 2013. Consolidated report on the cross-border flow of Internet traffic and interference which may have an impact on access to content, services and applications. CDMSI(2013)misc 20. Author Dr Monica HORTEN from three original reports by Professor Yaman Akdeniz, Patrik Fältström and Professor Michael Rotert.
- Proposal to Transition the Stewardship of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Functions from the U.S. Commerce Department’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to the Global Multistakeholder Community. IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG). March 2016.
- Market-driven Challenges to Open Internet Standards. Global Commission on Internet Governance. Centre for International Governance Innovation and Chatham House. GCIG Paper No. 33. Patrik Fältström, May 20 2016.
- Betydelsen av cybersäkerhet, Patrik Fältström, Kvartal, November 12 2020
- PÅ ALLVAR - Svensk Säkerhetspolitik i Ofärdstider - Slutrapport från SES-projektet, Redaktörer: Lars-Erik Lundin & Gunnar Magnusson. Kungl Krigsvetenskapsakademien / The Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences. ISBN 978-91-88581-31-0. August 2022.
Fältström has served as editor and co-author of the following Internet Engineering Task Force RFCs (and contributed to many more):
- RFC 9825 – The Base45 Data Encoding P. Fältström, F. Ljunggren, D.W. van Gulik. IETF 2022.
- RFC 9233 – Internationalized Domain Names for Applications 2008 (IDNA2008) and Unicode 12.0.0 P. Fältström. IETF 2022.
- RFC 8753 – Internationalised Domain Names for Applications (IDNA) Review for New Unicode Versions. J. Klensin, P. Faltstrom. IETF 2020.
- RFC 7553 – The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) DNS Resource Record. P. Faltstrom, O. Kolkman. IETF 2015.
- RFC 6452 – The Unicode Code Points and Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA) – Unicode 6.0. P. Faltstrom, P. Hoffman. IETF 2011
- RFC 5892 – The Unicode Code Points and Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA). P. Faltstrom. IETF 2010
- RFC 5507 – Design Choices When Expanding the DNS. IAB, P. Faltstrom, R. Austein, P. Koch. IETF 2009
- RFC 4690 – Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs). J. Klensin, P. Faltstrom, C. Karp, IAB. IETF 2006
- RFC 4194 – The S Hexdump Format. J. Strombergson, L. Walleij, P. Faltstrom. IETF 2005
- RFC 3761 – The E.164 to Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI) Dynamic Delegation Discovery System (DDDS) Application (ENUM). P. Faltstrom, M. Mealling. IETF 2004
- RFC 3490 – Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA). P. Faltstrom, P. Hoffman, A. Costello. IETF 2003
- RFC 3406 – Uniform Resource Names (URN) Namespace Definition Mechanisms. L. Daigle, D. van Gulik, R. Iannella, P. Faltstrom. IETF 2002
- RFC 2958 – The application/whoispp-response Content-type. L. Daigle, P. Faltstrom. IETF 2000
- RFC 2957 – The application/whoispp-query Content-Type. L. Daigle, P. Faltstrom. IETF 2000
- RFC 2916 – E.164 number and DNS P. Faltstrom. IETF 2000
- RFC 1914 – How to Interact with a Whois++ Mesh. P. Faltstrom, R. Schoultz, C. Weider. IETF 1996
- RFC 1835 – Architecture of the WHOIS++ service. P. Deutsch, R. Schoultz, P. Faltstrom, C. Weider. IETF 1995
- RFC 1741 – MIME Content Type for BinHex Encoded Files. P. Faltstrom, D. Crocker, E. Fair. IETF 1994
- RFC 1740 – MIME Encapsulation of Macintosh Files – MacMIME. P. Faltstrom, D. Crocker, E. Fair. IETF 1994
As a member of the Security and Stability Advisory Committee of ICANN he has contributed to the following reports and advisory statements:
- SAC-121 – SSAC Briefing on Routing Security (9 June 2022)
- SAC-120 – SSAC Input to GNSO IDN EPDP on Internationalized Domain Name Variants (28 April 2022)
- SAC-119 – Feedback to the GNSO Transfer Policy Review PDP WG (5 August 2021)
- SAC-117 – Report on Root Service Early Warning Systems (13 July 2021)
- SAC-115 – SSAC Report on an Interoperable Approach to Addressing Abuse Handling in the DNS (19 March 2021)
- SAC-113 – SSAC Advisory on Private-Use TLDs (18 September 2020)
- SAC-109 – The Implications of DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS (12 March 2020)
- SAC-108 – SSAC Comments on the IANA Proposal for Future Root Zone KSK Rollovers (29 January 2020)
- SAC-106 – SSAC Comments on Evolving the Governance of the Root Server System (8 August 2019)
- SAC-105 – The DNS and the Internet of Things: Opportunities, Risks, and Challenges (28 May 2019)
- SAC-103 – SSAC Response to the new gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process Working Group Initial Report (3 October 2018)
- SAC-102 – SSAC Comment on the Updated Plan for Continuing the Root KSK Rollover (20 August 2018)
- SAC-100 – SSAC Response to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process Working Group Request Regarding Root Scaling (21 December 2017)
- SAC-099 – SSAC Response to the ICANN Internationalized Domain Name Guidelines Working Group (17 November 2017)
- SAC-098 – The Security, Stability and Resiliency of the DNS Review (SSR2) (04 October 2017)
- SAC-096 – SSAC Comment on the CCWG-Accountability-WS2 Draft Framework of Interpretation for Human Rights (30 May 2017)
- SAC- 095 – SSAC Advisory on the Use of Emoji in Domain Names (25 May 2017)
- SAC-094 – SSAC Response to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Community Comment 2 (22 May 2017)
- SAC-093 – SSAC Comments on the Draft Recommendations of the CCWG-Accountability-WS2 on SO/AC Accountability (18 May 2017)
- SAC-092 – SSAC Input to the Cross Community Working Group on Accountability Work Stream 2 Human Rights (12 March 2017)
- SAC-091 – SSAC Comment on Identifier Technology Health Indicators (20 January 2017)
- SAC-090 – SSAC Advisory on the Stability of the Domain Namespace (22 December 2016)
- SAC-089 – SSAC Response to ccNSO Comments on SAC084 (12 December 2016)
- SAC-088 – SSAC Response to ccNSO Comments on SAC084 (06 November 2016)
- SAC-087 – SSAC Response to the GNSO Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group on Next Generation gTLD Registration Directory Services – Second Outreach (19 October 2016)
- SAC-086 – SSAC Response to the GNSO Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures — Seeking Community Comments (19 October 2016)
- SAC-085 – SSAC Response to the GNSO Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group on the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms in all Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs) (19 October 2016)
- SAC-084 – SSAC Comments on Guidelines for the Extended Process Similarity Review Panel for the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process (31 August 2016)
- SAC-083 – SSAC Comment on Proposed Amendments to New gTLD Registry Agreement (11 July 2016)
- SAC-082 – SSAC Response to the Request for Advice Relating to the 2012 New gTLD Round (03 June 2016)
- SAC-081 – SSAC Response to Request for Input on Next Generation gTLD RDS to Replace WHOIS Policy Development Process (PDP) (25 May 2016)
- SAC-080 – SSAC Approval of CCWG-Accountability Supplemental Final Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations (02 March 2016)
- SAC-078 – SSAC Advisory on Uses of the Shared Global Domain Name Space (16 February 2016)
- SAC-077 – SSAC Comment on gTLD Marketplace Health Index Proposal (22 January 2016)
- SAC-076 – SSAC Comment on the CCWG-Accountability 3rd Draft Proposal (21 December 2015)
- SAC-075 – SSAC Comments to ITU-D on Establishing New Certification Authorities (03 December 2015)
- SAC-073 – SSAC Comments on Root Zone Key Signing Key Rollover Plan (05 October 2015)
- SAC-072 – SSAC Comment on the Cross Community Working Group on Naming Related Functions Proposal (24 June 2015)
- SAC-071 – SSAC Comments on Cross Community Working Group Proposal on ICANN Accountability Enhancements (05 June 2015)
- SAC-070 – SSAC Advisory on the Use of Static TLD / Suffix Lists (29 May 2015)
- SAC-069 – SSAC Advisory on Maintaining the Security and Stability of the IANA Functions Through the Stewardship Transition (10 December 2014)
- SAC-068 – SSAC Report on the IANA Functions Contract (10 October 2014)
- SAC-067 – Overview and History of the IANA Functions (15 August 2014)
- SAC-066 – SSAC Comment Concerning JAS Phase One Report on Mitigating the Risk of DNS Namespace Collisions (06 June 2014)
- SAC-064 – SSAC Advisory on Search List Processing (13 February 2014)
- SAC-063 – SSAC Advisory on DNSSEC Key Rollover in the Root Zone (07 November 2013)
- SAC-062 – SSAC Advisory Concerning the Mitigation of Name Collision Risk (07 November 2013)
- SAC-060 – SSAC Comment on Examining the User Experience Implications of Active Variant TLDs Report (23 July 2013)
- SAC-059 – SSAC Letter to the ICANN Board Regarding Interdisciplinary Studies (18 April 2013)
- SAC-057 – SSAC Advisory on Internal Name Certificates (15 March 2013)
- SAC-056 – SSAC Advisory on Impacts of Content Blocking via the Domain Name System (09 October 2012)
- SAC-055 – SSAC Comment on the WHOIS Review Team Final Report (14 September 2012)
- SAC-054 – SSAC Report on the Domain Name Registration Data Model (11 June 2012)
- SAC-053 – SSAC Report on Dotless Domains (23 February 2012)
- SAC-052 – SSAC Advisory on Single-Character Internationalized Domain Name Top-Level Domains (31 January 2012)
- SAC-051 – SSAC Report on WHOIS Terminology and Structure (19 September 2011)
- SAC-050 – DNS Blocking: Benefits Versus Harms – An Advisory from the Security and Stability Advisory Committee on Blocking of Top Level Domains at the Domain Name System (14 June 2011)
- SAC-049 – SSAC Report on DNS Zone Risk Assessment and Management (03 June 2011)
- SAC-048 – SSAC Comment on the Orphan Glue Records in the Draft Applicant Guidebook (12 May 2011)
- SAC-047 – SSAC Comment on the ICANN gTLD Registry Transition Processes Model (15 April 2011)
- SAC-043 – SSAC Comment on the JAS Report on the IANA Process for Implementing Root Zone Change Requests and on the IANA Explanatory Memoranda (5 October 2010)
- SAC-042 – SSAC Comment on the Root Scaling Study Team Report and the TNO Report (17 December 2009)
- SAC-040 – Measures to Protect Domain Registration Services Against Exploitation or Misuse (19 August 2009)
Fältström holds a M.Sc. degree in Mathematics from the Stockholm University (1991). His thesis was entitled Event Driven Simulation on Multi-CPU Computers.
Mr Fältström was awarded ICANN Leadership Award 2016 for his work with the IANA Stewardship Transition.
He was inducted to The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences, IVA, in October 2013 and holds the title LIVA.
In January 2011, Fältström received The Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana, V class, from the President of Estonia.
2004 he received IP-Priset award from Swedish Network Users Society.
2000 he was elected to SIME Hall of Fame.
pub 1024D/40BD3DA3 2011-11-28 Key fingerprint = FDBE 4EA1 C073 9FB6 B264 C55C 6D24 154D 40BD 3DA3 uid Patrik Faltstrom <email@example.com> pub 1024D/0B88D7CD 2005-10-18 Key fingerprint = 541F F709 23C8 B80C 3514 DEA5 ACC6 9B1A 0B88 D7CD uid Patrik Faltstrom <firstname.lastname@example.org> uid Patrik Faltstrom <email@example.com>